Saturday, March 5, 2011

Accessorize your life

Some people say that over-accessorizing is a fashion faux pas.
 I say it has to be carefully done, but can be your best friend. Some days, boho chic is all about your accessories! Besides, what fun is an outfit if you can't put some great accessories with it?! Not only that, but accessories can come in many forms. Some people choose to accessorize with tattoos or piercings. Over-done, you look like a freak. Carefully done, you look like a person living a full life. Some of the most boho-chic people out there have a tattoo or fun piercing. Take Christina Perri for example, she is absolutely gorgeous, incredibly talented and has a few well placed tattoos...

Hair today, Gone tomorrow!
Hair is another amazing accessory. You can play with it all day long. Up, down, black, red... it all can be easily overdone or tastefully incorporated into your life. And the great thing about hair as an accessory is that you can change it if you don't like it! Obviously some things take a bit longer to come back from, like cutting your hair in a bob, but most are relatively easy to change. Personally, I enjoy changing my hair color. I recently dyed my hair black, I feel like it looks more exotic. I have also enjoyed a stint as a red-head. The problem with dying your hair red (if a natural brunette) is that it tends to fade to a nice orangey color. This is especially true if you are cheap (like your's truly) and don't want to have to pay for the expensive up-keep. Thus the ease of dying black, easy and easy to re-dye but more difficult to go back natural... I'm sure we can all think of the girl who changes her hair every week. The true question is if it looks good or not... So whatever you decide to do with your hair, have fun with it!

Jewelry...
The first thing that comes to mind when you think of an accessory. Also, jewelry is one of the best things to over-accessorize with; because it is (usually) a smaller statement, it can be quite fun to add a lot of small jewelry pieces to make a big statement. My all time favorite jewelry pieces are handmade by local artists. I absolutely LOVE going to farmer's markets, street festivals, etc. in order to find amazing, unique and well priced jewelry. A great website for this is etsy.com; everything on Etsy is either handmade or vintage and you can get some really great finds on there. My most boho jewelry pieces are all handmade. In fact, one of my favorite pairs of earrings is from a girl I had a college class with. I was telling her how much I loved her earrings, and turns out her 11 year old sister had made them... I bought them on the spot and have worn them countless times. Another of my favorites is a metal work bracelet I bought for $4 at a farmer's market. Proof that not all accessories for your boho life need to be pricey!

My all time favorite accessory is... well, I think I will save that for another day ;)

SHOES!!!
How could anyone possibly have a blog about boho accessories without including a bit about shoes?! Truth be told, I have not always been much of a shoe person. There is no denying that once upon a time, I was one of those girls that just thought shoes were shoes. Fortunately, I have been shown the light by my dearest friend (check out her blog and my inspiration! thefabulousisland.blogspot.com) and am proud to say that I am now a shoe lover :)  Shoes are a great way to add a little boho to an otherwise average outfit. Not only that, but you can change the way an outfit looks by just changing the shoes you are wearing. Take a great dress for example, try paring it with a pair of gladiator flats. Now put it with a pair of amazing pumps. And how could we possibly forget boots?! Boots are an amazing addition to the boho wardrobe, and one that should not be forgotten. Slouchy boots, booties, cowboy boots, the choices are endless! I truly love the look of a above-the-knee length dress with a pair of great cowboy boots (my next boho purchase!) I think I could probably go on for days about the amazingness that is a wonderful pair of shoes...

How are you going to accessorize your life?! Add a little spice of boho and see if it doesn't put a smile on your face and a spring in your step!

No comments:

Post a Comment