Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Blog Challenge: Maxi Dresses

So, my best friend and I - the illustrious Laura (author of thefabulousisland.blogspot.com) have decided we should each write two blog entries (or two sections at least). Each one of these will be on my point of view and one on her point of view. The challenge is making an attempt to write not only our own viewpoint, but write another from the other's point of view. So here goes...

Blog Challenge Part 1:

Being Fabulous (with a capital F mind you) it is part of my responsibility to society to point out when they are dead wrong about fashion. I mean, please, haven't you ever watched What Not To Wear?! I have had a long standing hatred of maxi dresses and I am now being called to justify this. Why, I am not entirely sure, but I will not disappoint. Let's look at this from a Fabulous stand point.

The entire purpose of clothing is to flatter your body right? Does a maxi dress really do that for you? Okay, lets subtract the 1% of the population that this actually works on (like the amazingly gorgeous Christine...) Now, does this actually FLATTER your body shape? 99% of the time, the answer is a complete NO. Most dresses are designed so that the silhouette of the dress itself flatters the body. Not so with the maxi dress. Most of the time they are clingy, and in all the wrong places. Is it really wise to allow so much fabric to cling to all of those body parts that really need a little bit of love? Let's face it, we all have that area we are not so proud of and don't really want to emphasize. The truth of the matter is that we just need to learn to love our bodies, but do we? Be honest. So, while we are learning to truly love ourselves, we might as well give our bodies as much help and flattering silhouettes as we can. This certainly does not include a floor length dress clinging to all the wrong places. A properly fitting dress should be slimming at the waist line, and flare in an A-line skirt before cutting off slightly below the knees. What does a maxi dress do? While many certainly slim at the waist, they do not have an A-line skirt (assisting the image that your waist is the smallest part of you) and in fact emphasize the bootylicous-ness you actually have going on.

Next complaint: a floor length dress that isn' a gown? Really?
All this does is make short people look shorter. Sure, a tall, freakishly skinny model can pull this off. But the average citizen? Umm, no. If you are short, or the average female height of 5'4", the dress is just going to make you look shorter. Isn't one of the fashion goals to elongate your body? Maxi dresses do absolutely nothing for this goal unless you are hiding 5" heels underneath (which of course I would approve of). Also, most maxi dresses are supposed to be a bold fashion statement, so they also come with a bold (frequently overwhelming) pattern. So let's take our average 5'4" lady, and stick a floor length dress with an all-over pattern on her. Want to know what affect this has? Making her look short and entirely swallowed by said pattern. Not flattering at all. And if she has a few curves, it probably isn't helping that area much either...

Bottom Line: Maxi dresses are flattering on approximately 1% of the population. And the majority of those women are tall and anorexic. I would much rather be confident in the body I have, and flatter the curves God gave me, than be able to rock a maxi dress and looking like I haven't eaten in months.

Sincerely, The Fabulous Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment